If you're returning this semester, we'd like to update you on what's up at the Library.
But first, some interesting facts: did you know that research* shows that students who use the library achieve better results than those who don't?
At Monash 79% of students who used the Library achieved at least a Distinction, based on students' best estimates of their academic results. In the user survey, Library use meant either coming in to the library or accessing it online daily or 2-4 days a week.
- The refurbishments are the big news at the moment and mean that the opening hours of some libraries are a little different this year. It's worth noting that Matheson and Hargrave-Andrew Libraries have swapped hours. The latter is now open until 12 midnight Monday to Thursday, and until 9pm on Friday. Matheson Library will be open until 9pm Monday to Friday. TIP: Library hours are on the Monash app.
- At Matheson Library you can already use the refurbished North part of the building. This houses the new bookable discussion rooms for group projects and study, and two new large teaching rooms, which you can use for study when it's not booked for classes. You'll find the Research and Learning point has also relocated to this part of the library. The refurbishment in other parts of the Matheson Library will continue this year.
- Extra seating has been provided on level 5 at Matheson, and at both Hargrave-Andrew Library and Law Library.
- At Caulfield Library, the staircase next to the library has been demolished. To access the library, come up to the level 2 entry using the staircase outside Building K, come across from Building B (use lift for accessibility), or use the overpass or the eastern staircase of Building A.
- Inside Caulfield Library, study facilities are available and regular services continue although some areas have been closed off. Additional study seats are available in C1 (see campus map).
- As well as working with you in your courses and units, we provide a range of programs and drop-in sessions related to your assignments and other tasks. Drop-ins begin from Week 2.
- We’ve developed a new Research and Learning Online site as your gateway to the Library’s online learning materials. Check it out to access online modules such as Academic integrity, Citing and referencing, and more.
Don’t forget to check this blog for useful articles with tips and advice for your study. You can also find us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Instagram.
* Soria, K. M., Fransen, J., & Nackerud, S. (2013). Library use and undergraduate student outcomes: New evidence for students’ retention and academic success. Portal : Libraries and the Academy, 13(2), 147-164.